Hello January, we knew you were coming but let’s be honest, we’re never quite ready for you after the fun and frivolity of Christmas… Gone are the glimmering lights & mid-week mulled wines and here we are slap bang in 2020! The responsibilities we tucked away in our desks for the festive party season are back at the top of the To Do list, along with paying the credit card bills, getting fit, setting intentions & making 2020 your year…
Sure, January can be a little blue but it’s also a fresh start, a time to set intentions and even on a shoestring budget it can still be far from blue. So how can you survive Blue Monday and make January more meaningful?
- Start by making a list of 10 things your grateful for. Practicing Gratitude can be a powerful practice for living more positively.
- Do a good deed. There’s nothing like some good karma to lift low spirits! Help a friend, work colleague or a stranger, call someone who needs a chat or go through your wardrobe and donate some unneeded clothes to charity. You could take all of your old coins to a coin exchange or to the bank and donate the cash to a cause that matters to you.
- Take a moment out to mindfully manifest: Lay down or take a comfortable seat (you could even do this on the tube), close your eyes and imagine how this year could be the most amazing year yet. What would it look like? Where would you be? Who else would be there? What would be different?
- When we’re feeling low or uninspired our energy levels can drop as well. A quick remedy for this is movement. One of my favourite hacks for when I’m feeling anxious or low is to put my earphones in and blast my favourite song and dance like no one is watching (I normally close the curtains so no one is!). This can help to shift any stuck or dormant energy and help lift a low mood. A few alternatives to dancing are walking, running or of course, Yoga, which has so many benefits mentally and physically you’ll feel brighter and more relaxed in no time!
- De-clutter your space. This is a great practice to clear your mind and create a new environment. Whether it’s your room, your workspace or your home, it doesn’t cost anything to have a clear out but it can make a big difference to the way you feel. Making your space more in line with your goals can also help you to achieve them, it’s hard to think clearly surrounded by clutter. Some ideas are below:
– Start by asking yourself what kind of environment you want to create within the space. For example, do you want your bedroom to be a sanctuary to aid good sleep and relaxation or is it a space you want to feel inspired, to work on projects and come up with new ideas in?
– Donate anything you don’t need to a charity of your choice or gift/recycle where possible.
– Put up inspirational images or create a Vision Board to display, this can help to keep you focused on what you’re manifesting.
– Use sage to clear the space of any old, dormant energy.
About Liz Joy Oakley
Liz Joy Oakley is Yoga Teacher, Holistic Wellbeing Coach and Head of Vibes at MoreYoga, co-running our MoreMind Project with Stephanie Minchin, coordinating events, content and workshops focused on better supporting our communities mental and physical wellbeing. After starting her career in the fast-paced world of luxury fashion Liz came to Yoga after being diagnosed with Malignant Hypertension and Generalized Anxiety and left with the goal of helping others to lead healthier lives holistically. Liz went on to spent a year working at the Safe Childhoods Foundation in Indonesia, an NGO committed to combatting organized crimes against children, she began to understand the true benefits of Yoga, Meditation and Psychology as therapeutic tools and describes this as a time of total transformation.
Now back in London, Liz is passionate about helping people achieve a healthier, happier lifestyle through her work. She loves bringing people together, encouraging authentic connection and is happiest when facilitating retreats, workshops and events based around Yoga, Positive Psychology and Holistic Wellbeing.
Liz teaches Hatha, Vinyasa, Yin & Restorative Yoga, specialising in teaching Yoga, Mindfulness & Meditation to improve stress & anxiety. She combines this with her work as a Holistic Wellbeing Coach & is dedicated to spreading Joy through her work.
New to MoreYoga? Not sure yet?
Try one of our introductory offers!
Intro Offer£5 for 5 Classes
- 5 Classes
- 5 Consecutive Days
- Access All Studios
- Amazing Value
- New Clients Only
Membership OfferFirst Month
- Then up to 31/2 Price For Life at selected studios
- Build a yoga habit
Access all studios
Pay according to your usage
Just try one?Single Session
- Try us out!
- Use at any studio
- Over 1000 Classes
- Variety of Styles
- London's Best Instructors